Located to the North of Denver, Thornton is a suburb that offers a great amount of amenities while being relatively close for commuters to Denver. Founded in 1953 it was Adams County’s first planned community. In 2018 there were an estimated 139,436 people living in Thornton, this number is likely a bit higher with all the new homes that have been built in the city since.
Thornton offers two recreation centers for its residents as well as numerous parks, swimming pools and trails. The North Light Rail Train Line is expected to open this year to provide transportation to Union Station in Downtown Denver. There are two stops in Thornton for easy accessibility.
There are three school districts that service the city of Thornton, Mapleton Public Schools, Adams 12 Five Star Schools and School District 27J.
Major Employers for Thornton, CO
- Amazon Distribution Center
- North Suburban Medical Center
- Denver Premium Outlets
- American Furniture Warehouse
- Dish Network
- Sams Club
Median Sale Prices for Homes in Thornton (March 2020)
- $425,332 Average Single Family Home Closed in Thornton/ $445,000 Average of Entire MLS
- $252,003 Average Condo Closed in Thornton/ $270,000 Average of Entire MLS
- $300,935 Average Town Home Closed in Thornton/ $330,500 Average of Entire MLS
- $174 Price Per Sq Ft in Thornton/ $201 Price Per Sq Ft Entire MLS
How far away is it from:
Denver International Airport: 20-30 Min (depending on location in Thornton)
Downtown Denver 18-20 Min
To Loveland Ski Resort (Colorado’s closest ski resort to Denver): 1-1.5 hours, not including ski traffic
To Boulder, Colorado: 30-45 Min